Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Member in the Spotlight: Helen Dunn

Photo by Elli Williams

Member in the Spotlight: Helen Dunn


This month, our member in the spotlight is Dr. Helen Dunn. Helen is one of our wonderful instructors at the AFC.

Helen completed her doctorate in French from U.Va. and specializes in literature of the eighteenth century. In addition to the language and culture classes at the AFC, she currently teaches classes at James Madison University. She is also a frequent lecturer at AFC-sponsored talks at Spring Street Boutique.

What is one interesting or important fact AFC members should know about you? 
I really love animals – I have fostered for the SPCA and now own one of the cats that i used to bottle feed!

Why French? 
I had a great uncle who was an English professor and a 17th century expert. Although his profession was English, he truly loved French and France. He spoke of Rousseau and Voltaire when I was just a little girl, and I think I got sucked in!

Who, what, or where is your greatest source of inspiration? 
This question is too hard to pinpoint, I find inspiration and a lot of places! My great uncle, whom I mentioned earlier, and his wife, who was a librarian and complete bibliophile. My parents, both of whom are very successful, and my sister, who is brilliant.

What is or what are your favorite French/Francophone works of art (book, film, painting, song, etc.)? 
Movies, movies, movies! My PhD is in literature, but I think my true love is movies!

What are you working on now? 
Right now, I am working on an article about the significance of hats for unmarried women in the 19th century.

What is your favorite word in the French language? 
Élégie. It just rolls off the tongue.

If you had one superpower, what would it be? 
I want the power to siphon knowledge so that I can know everything! There is still too much I don't know yet.

What is your favorite motto? 
Ever onward, ever upward! It is the choices that you make today that count.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading the AFC blog!