Monday, October 26, 2015

Finding French Culture in Charlottesvile: Sweet Liaison Lover


There’s something about the way that French sounds that mesmerizes me. Maybe it’s the sweet liaisons or throaty ‘R’s’ that entice me. I’m perpetually in awe when I hear smoothly flowing French. When I came to college, I initially intended to only take enough French classes to satisfy the area requirements, but after traveling to Montreal I quickly realized that I needed more instruction with the language in order to engage in fluid conversations. I then decided to study abroad in Morocco and obtain a minor in French Language and Literature. For me, forming genuine connections with people is a precious experience that I absolutely cherish. Language is a wonderful tool to actualize this. I still fumble with the language, but it’s the awkward moments that motivate me to work harder and keep learning. One of my aspirations is to live and work in West Africa, which is one reason why I’ve decided to learn French as a way to render living and working in a Francophone country more accessible. 

Posted by: Itohan Omorodion, AFC Stagiare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading the AFC blog!